Saturday, January 12, 2013

Headband - Fette Bruhe (GER, 1982)

 
 
A long time ago a very generous fusion collector posted their album Straight Ahead (their first I think) and it absolutely blew me away.  It's only thanks to others that I later realized they had done three records in total.  After hearing all three I think this is actually their masterpiece. (The other one btw is called "Suntalk" and has a side-long suite on b that I find a little too drawn-out.)  The weird and quirky fusion just never lets up on this outing from 1982 (called "fat broth" I think, you will see a recipe for the LP/broth on the back) and there is an utter minimum of wanky improvising.  It's amazing what was going on in Germany at this time in music.  Of course even in N. America fusion was not yet dead but it was slowly becoming a dirty word especially among the cool and among the influential music reviewers.
 
Bass, Vocals– Cläusel Quitschau
Drums– Manfred von Bohr
Guitar– Jan Reimer
Keyboards, Vocals– Michael Herting
Producer– Headband
Saxophone– Norbert Stein
 
I realize of course an mp3 rip has been circulating of this record, I think it was posted on the growing bin website first, but I really wanted to do it justice so you can hear every detail of the thought these superb musicians put into their work.  And in each song there is some very odd angularity or unique aspect to the riff that makes for intensely interesting listening, I think you'll agree. Consider track 6, Dampfwalzer, where under a furious rhythm section the guitarist plays virtually an atonal solo full of odd hendrixian sounds.  Very abruptly the passage ends and you get the frantic sax on abnormal chords synths space effect (as in Nazaruk's Hymn to the Midnight Sun I posted before).  The last track, Turkis, is my idea of a swan song to fusion, with the best and most beautiful melodic harmonies of any record, harking back to the seminal british and american masters, recalling perhaps a lot of Toto Blanke and Electric Circus who by that time had moved on from fusion .....
 
RIP fusion:
 
 

12 comments:

Tristan Stefan said...

mp3
http://netkups.com/?d=0aa5107d11f3a

Tristan Stefan said...

here's a lossless for all your flac fanatics, as I said, this album deserves nothing but the best:
http://depositfiles.com/files/ip4qxnk66

Anonymous said...

Tristan, where is your Isolde?

ThE cX MaN said...

Thank you very much, another lost gem.

Thank you for you work, i have a question, some of the 2012 post has a broken link (and i comment it): it is possible to have another re-up? (es: Duanelessness)

Grazie! Mario - Genova

Tristan Stefan said...

http://depositfiles.com/files/cwkpncx7u
check this link works for freeport - duanelessness... btw anyone know what that word is supposed to mean?

Anonymous said...

duanelessness = the feeling Gregg Allman had after Oct. 29th 1971.

Tristan Stefan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tristan Stefan said...

my Isolde? interesting you ask as it was some decades back when still I habited inMülheim an der Ruhr as a result of an unfortunate music-industrial accident when myself and my then-wife Isolde went carp-fishing on the Gedanken-see, a small beaver-made lake upon a rickety old rowboat made of Kochlöffeln when suddenly a genie appeared and most fortunately was willing to grant us a wish, whereupon myself having imbibed one too many Erdinger Dunkel, suggested he transform the lake water into a lake of beer !! thereupon it so happened !! and I proceeded to scoop up the beer from the lake with my large handmade stein and down it, my dear Isolde, however, quite angered by this impatient request, which I had not consulted her on, partly owing to an infirmity in my right ear which a large dinner plate had attacked some fortnight or so past thus causing me to not hear her vociferous sweet voice: "ach, dumkopf!!" sie hatte gesagt, "now where are we going to piss?? in the boat?" and at this time she decided to run away with the genie to get married, and I have last heard upon the facebook page that they are still together in Harlon County, Kentucky, where they have four identical sets of twins and are set to star in a reality show called "I wish for billions of dollars and they pour out of my arse" coming soon to a fox affiliate near you...

Matt Miller said...

Thanks. Reminds me of Klaus Doldinger and Passport.

Vucko Popovic said...

Can you upload their first two albums: Straight Ahead! (1979) and Suntalk (1980) ? Thanks in advance!

Al baar said...

Please upload the other discs.

Anonymous said...

please , please upload tothers

Post a Comment