Friday, December 07, 2012

Mwendo Dawa ST (Swed, 1981)



After the VA record I tried looking for more from this swedish jazz band with mild fusionary tendencies.  I believe in online record stores this is referred to as fusion simply because a so-used label sells better than 'acoustic jazz' which is what this really is for the most part, with the exception of some nice synth work.  I really love the way Susanna washes her synths into the pieces in that atmospheric, cloud-like kind of way, big thick chords flowing over the surface of the beat like white reflections moving on a turmoiled ocean.   Unfortunately for me there isn't enough of this effect, only sparingly employed.

This was recorded April 20-21, 1980, in Stockholm.  The Mwendo Dawa (in Swahili: the way to a special goal) players are:
Ove Johansson - tenor sax
Susanna Lindeborg - keys
Ulf Wakenuis - guitars
Anders Jormin - bass
David Sundby - drums
Not too sure what you guys opine but I don't think I'll go out of my way to find any remaining of their records, I think I'll leave the rest for true completists in jazz only.  Is it surprising I can be turned off by 'too much jazziness?'  It shouldn't be, I love fusion for its progressive moves, but my heart is in prog.  Note that this band is still very active, one of the few from this period that continued almost verbatim through to the present era.  This particular record is OOP of course and not currently available online or on cd.
http://www.lj-records.se/mwendo.html



On track 5, a good ex. of Susanna's synthwork:







8 comments:

Tristan Stefan said...

http://netkups.com/?d=5001327e5c7dc
mp3

Anonymous said...

what happened to munju?

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much.
I didn't know Mwendo Dawa.
I saw the videos in youtube.
What a band!!!
Needless to say if you find something else to post it please.



microBatteur

heeren said...

This band certainly comprises some well-known names: Ulf Wakenius estimated solo artist and sideman for the likes of Oscar Peterson, Svend Asmussen, Niels-Henning Ørsted-Pedersen, Youn Sun Nah. And Anders Jormin, world renowned bass player with a CV including stints with Charles Lloyd and Don Cherry (although best known for his partnership with Bobo Stenson)

Anonymous said...

Please repost Mwendo Dawa. TYVM.

Anonymous said...

Please repost Mwendo Dawa 1981. TYVM.

miloo2 said...

Thank you, I am really curious to hear Anders Jormin in this context...

jim said...

Tristan, Would it be possible to get a new link for Mwendo Dawa?

Post a Comment