The most successful Hungarian rock band in history, OMEGA is one of the rare bands to have been known outside in his country. The legend has it that as albums were released in other countries it became necessary to brake the language barrier. Their music is a combination of Eastern European prog with a bit of symphonic and a bit of psyche prog. The result is a dark orchestrated sound combined with extended improvisation. Their discography actually starts in the early 60's, and goes in till today in a more modern register. Several albums were released in Hungarian as well as English. I'd prefer the "accented" English version of the albums. The more so, the music remains the same...
1968 to 1975: OMEGA issued their first Hungarian "Trombitás Frédi és a Rettenetes Emberek" (1968) that became their first golden album. The band sealed their success with two subsequent LPS: "10 000 Lépés" and "Omega 3" / "Éjszakai Országút". Their first releases, such as "Omega 3" / "Éjszakai Országút", "Élö Omega" and "Omega 5" were basically pop rock some very good songs. "200 Years After The Last War" is a brilliant album, solid rock and roll with beautiful ballads.
1976 to 1981: From 1976 to 1981, they released four albums of Progressive Spacey Rock with great arrangements: echoes of PINK FLOYD and ELOY elements. "Time Robber" / "Idõrabló", their best work work, is the most commercial with various electronic "space sounds", though "Skrover" / "Csillagok Útján" is probably the most musically diverse. More albums in the similar style followed: "Gammapolis" / "Gammapolisz" and "Working" / "Az Arc".
1981 to today: Afterwards, the band kept the electronic and pop rock genre with bits of Progressive elements. However, the band's 1980s began to show the obvious signs of creative stagnation. Soon after it 13th album, OMEGA disbanded. After 7 years of long silence, the musicians went on to produce a new album in 1995, "Transcendent" / "Trans and Dance". This release is a good album with nice keyboards playing. Also check out their equally superb album .... their latest "Egy Eletre Szol" (1998). Well..., after nearly 40 years OMEGA is still together, they are LEGENDS ! http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=708
01. Petróleum lámpa (Oil Lamp) (3:14)
02. Gyöngyhajú lány (Girl With Pearls In Her Hair) (5:49)
03. Tuzvihar (Stormy Fire) (3:09)
04. Udvari bolond kenyere (Court Jester's Bread) (3:32)
05. Kérgeskezq favágók (The Woodcutter With Rough Hands) (8:15)
06. Tékozló fiúk (Wasteful Boys) (4:34)
07. Tízezer lépés (10000 Steps) (6:13)
08. 1958-as boogie-woogie klubban (In The 1958 Boogie-Woogie-Club) (2:14)
09. Spanyolgitár legenda (Spain Guitar Legend) (3:24)
10. Félbeszakadt koncert (The Broken Off Concert) (4:00)
- Laszlo Benkö / keyboards, trumpet, backing vocals
- Jánós Kobor / lead vocals
- Jószef Laux / drums
- Tamas Mihály / bass
- György Molnár / guitar
- Gábor Presser / keyboards, backing vocals
05. Kérgeskezq favágók ...
07. Tízezer lépés ....
Link for download "Omega - 1969 - 10000 Lépés" in comments ...