Saturday, November 04, 2006

Room - ''Pre-Flight''{UK}[1970]

Room's 1970 Preflight is a near-masterpiece of blues-influenced prog-rock with forays into jazz territories. Well-structured and punctuated by interesting time changes and a skillful use of wind and string instruments, they are definitely at least on par with label mates Leaf Hound and Mellow Candle. The guitar playing of Chris Williams and the remarkable vocal timbre of the singer also places the album a cut above many in the genre.

Reviews

9 comments:

EelaFree said...

Pre-Flight

L said...

Wow. I usually don't like such heavily blues inflected music so I wasn't expecting to like this either, but I'm totally surprised. This album is really unique. Thanks for making this available.

BTW: I love the blog and the podcast.

Anonymous said...

Another nice post from you Eelafree. You are definitely the main man on this blog as far as premium music being posted!

Anonymous said...

The more similar band to Room
surely was Catapilla. There's the
same use of jazz-rock elements
on a jazz-bluesy basement.
Another reference imho is Affinity
in their jamming moments.

EelaFree said...

glad you like it.

im into acid folk, RIO and psychedelic jazz; if you like my works on PNF, looks like we have similar tastes, thats why you see me as ''main man'' of this blog, i guess...

Anonymous said...

I'm new to this band but, having just downloaded it, I'm liking the sound of it very much. Many thanks for introducing me to something new and exciting.

Steve Edge said...

Thanks for posting this - 1970 seems so long ago now. I've moved the Room website to http://roomprogressive.blogspot.com/ Also, I understand Spring 2008 could be "interesting" for "Preflight"...

Anonymous said...

link down

isabelbc said...

http://oldishpsychprog.ucoz.com/news/room_1970_pre_flight/2010-03-12-276
or
http://www.sakalli.info/room-pre-flight-1970-256/

Post a Comment